Saturday, November 25, 2006

Karate, discipline, and respect


Hehehehe, ... that sounded very weird as a headline.

I was recalling my old Karate team, as I practiced karate for most of my childhood years.

The thing that puzzled me the most was the difference between old and new team members. While new members were a bunch of undisciplined rebels, unordered, eager to jest, call names, and just run about doing mischief, old members to the last one of them seemed very disciplined, silent, patient, almost aloof and arrogant, but they were respected.

Don’t assume it’s simply age, that’s not true, new members included many of the older guys, and old members included some of the youngest in the team, nor was it about strength or physical ability, … it was a mystery to me that I only grasped as I ascended in the team and gradually joined the latter group.

With time came knowledge, experience and the valuing of what we did, … with knowledge came responsibility for newer members, to instruct and help them, or just simply be a good role model, … with responsibility came authority and respect, … mark my words, … with adequately fulfilling responsibilities came authority and hence respect and not the opposite. With all that comes a feeling of contentment, of knowing ones place and doing ones part in life.

Alas, all that is lost!!

No comments: