Saturday, October 08, 2005

Python vs. Ruby

I've been sleeping too long in the arms of C++, and lately I've been searching for a dynamic language to adopt. Having written some perl and php myself, read some python and heard a lot of good stuff about ruby, it shouldn't be a problem for me to adopt any of them for simply playing around. But what I'm really looking for is a long (marriage-like) relationship, where I will try to know all the intricacies of the language at hand and use it for my d-d hacking. So I actually find it very hard to decide. Perl is probably the most hackerish, but also ugliest and hardest to read (I believe READING code is a very important thing). Php seems only competent in developing fast and smart web pages with its HUGE library of functionality.

Python and Ruby on the other hand, seem to be both very competent, both seem to be elegant, OO, rapid, and have a nice learning curve. I don't have that kind of time to learn both languages by heart just to judge and choose one, so I looked for online reviews and comparisons, (googled: python vs. ruby) and was greatly disappointed. The human kind seems to be still in its dark ages. Neutrality and subjectivity seem to have disappeared from the planet. People seem to be blindly biased (i.e. being biased without knowing they actually are) to what they know better. And of course this is not just about programming languages.

Well, I'll probably give python a try first, seems to be more mature, with more culture, user base and bindings (bindings for OpenGL, OGRE anyone?) and wider adoption (jython for java runtime and a .net version)

No comments: