Thursday, October 13, 2005

The company, dateem, and physics modeling - I

The past few months, I've been busying myself in starting a new startup. My two partners and I have abandoned our jobs (both of them were working at IBM Egypt for the last few months) and started to lay plans and continue work in our main product (the yet unnamed physics engine).

Meanwhile we realize how immensely greater challenge it is to plan and manage your own work in the real world. But that's what we were looking for, challenge, weren't we?

Yeah, mostly ... most of all I wanted to do thing the way I see right, not the way some company's process states is right. Some advised us to delay this risky plan, but we believe the risk is now at a minimum, we have nothing to lose, thus, nothing on this earth can crash us short of us realizing our profound incapability.

So I've been lately pondering about a lot of issues concerning starting a new software company, while reading some really nice articles like Eric Sink's "Making more mistakes" and Paul Graham's essays, esp. "Starting a startup" and "Beating the average".

Hell!! I need to know a lot, about marketing and market research, sales and pricing strategies, general management, while still trying to learn about my profession, being a good software craftsman is probably my most principal objective.

I guess the next year will be a pretty tough one.

No comments: