Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Conditioned reflex

I'm, not really sure the phrase does mean or describe what I wanna say, …

I'm talking about mentally coupling two different things, specific food with specific days, specific movies with specific memories, and in particular specific books with specific songs. I do that all the time, … and it's great, ... I'll give an example:

While reading The Wheel of Time, I was hearing some specific songs for Fadl Shaker, which became mentally coupled with the novel, so that whenever I hear those songs, I suddenly remember parts of the novels, and feel the general feelings of it.

It didn't stop there, it continued through almost all the novels I read, … it works best when the novel contain strong feelings and the songs are really nice and new, meaning you haven't heard them a lot before. And of course it would help if the mood of both did match, although not necessary.

And thus, … some songs instantly put me in the Da Vinci Code, some in Raymond Feist's world, some Robert Ludlum's, etc. It's really cool, and let's you duplicate the experience easily at any time simply by hearing some old songs.

3 comments:

Veeeva said...

i'm not sure about the term either but i bet ever1 does that.

as for me i relate el tamr and banana stuffed cookies to KSA and other places by the people who live in it...its more to me with places actually.

Jannah said...

WOW

I don't think I ever noticed myself doing that before!
Sounds deep and memorable. '

If I ever notice myself doing that, I'll try to remember it afterwards.

deeb said...

Ohh, ... places with people, ... tab3an, ... very strong connection, ... esp. loved ones or lost ones.