Saturday, September 23, 2006

More on those novels

Well, ... ok if someone's interested, ... I'll give brief comments then full reviews if still interested, ...

The wheel of time is very special to me, the whole fantasy thing started with it (excepting LOTR)... it's huge, ... really epic in scale, ... and I have skipped some parts of it, bt hell, ... I have read some other parts more than once, sometimes three or four times, ... ten times in the case of the prologue to the first book.

I got tears more than once while reading it, and got really excited for a long long time, ... .

The sword of truth followed, and while there are similarities, it is really very different than WoT, ... I wrote a simple comparison once HERE.

SoT is philosophical, ... complicated, and very heroic, ... with two too perfect protagonists, and a very lovable grandfather, Zed.

Reimond E. Feist is very entertaining, ... Pug, Arutha and especially James (Jimmy the Hand), are very interesting indeed! with a very sophisticated philosophical view on magic and gods, that I don't think I completely understood!

Emperor is a very worthy read, ... if not for the novel, then for the astonishing life of Julius Caesar, ... simply inspiring.

Dan Brown, ... well, ... most of you know him, Angels and Demons, The Davinci Code, Deception Point, ... etc, ... he is very crafty at cteating suspense, and surely does a hell of research before writng, but hell, ... the characters are the same, even if their names changed, ... the general theme is the same, .. the plot is very similar every time (or rather the premise, as some would say) I like his work, ... but do not consider it literature of high value.

Now the Malazan book of the fallen is a real piece of great work, ... I'm sure to write more about it soon, ... the sheer amount of different characters that you are inclined to love, like or at least have interest in, is wonderous, ... simply fascinating.


Now for some reason, ... I seem unable to finish any book for Stephen King, Robert Ludlum, or Paulo Coelho ... , sure they are great, seems I have some problem, can anyone help??

5 comments:

Veeeva said...

u must be kidding!!

never finished a book by stephen king? taybe coelho can sometimes be boring...but stephen is the king of suspense!!!


btw, thx 4 this post :)

deeb said...

I know, ... King is definitely a master of his craft, ... must be I"m not into suspense awy, ... I care more for humanistic epics (el kelma dih men e7'tera3y, we delwa2ty 7alan :)

The book I really liked for king, wasn't a novel, ... "about writing" in part an autobiography, and in part about writing books, fighting alcoholism.

Veeeva said...

then u gotta read "the unbearable lightness of being" by Milan Kundera.

i have it PDF on my esnips folder
here!
download it if u r interested

btw, i used to know sm1 named ahmed el deeb bardo and i'd have thought u r him if it weren't for ur pic.

deeb said...

Oh, thanks, ... got that, ... nice list by the way, ... read it all? ana ba2aly seneen ba7awel a2ra 1984, ... aretha zaman bel 3araby, ... kaman hitchhiker's guide, ...ana wad kaslan awy, ... Kite Runner is on my to-read-list bardo, ... what do you think of it?

Another deeb? Ahh, ... el deyaba keteer, .. bas all things considered, ana deeb 3'alban awy :)

Veeeva said...

i haven't read them all lesa :)
"the hitchhiker's guide" is full of sarcasm and kinda hilarious bs msh 3rfa lee i got bored at its half..so i tossed it aside and now i'm reading "a long way down"

i haven't read "kite runner" yet.

and yea..enta msh shaklak deeb asln :p