Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Toktok here toktok there, ... toktok everywhere!

Some of you might already know that I was bitten by a tokok, (ajall, laqad lada3'any al toktok) as I was driving slowly in a small street near home (Agouza). It came from my side, slowly but surely, didn't stop, didn't falter, I couldn't have helped it, only change the spot where it hit me :)

However, it was a minimal accident and I reckoned it a local Phenomenon and didn't give it much care then, until I saw toktok in Haram Street, Mohandesseen, and YES, on the Cairo-Alexandria highway!!! Toktoks are easy to overlook, especially by night due to their almost non existent lights. They are versatile and maneuverable to tell the truth, but only when they are empty, once they are loaded like they are here in Egypt most of the time, they get heavy and unstoppable (I greatly doubt their breaking systems). In accidents, toktoks usually inflict minimal damage (although obvious ones, due to the concentration of force in the toktok's narrow front) but the big issue is, ... there is almost no safety measures for the toktok passengers themselves, small accidents usually result in serious damages to the passengers.

Uhhh, ... Damn me if I don't know, the emergent appearance of the toktok is but a manifestation of Egypt's crushing economical state, but hell, if it must be, then let it be confined to certain areas, bounded by rigorous rules for speed and safety.

No comments: